Forum: Discussion Post #3 – Lyrical Analysis

Lyrical analysis

This song is from the Golden Gospel singers and is called ” Oh Freedom”. It is a post-civil war African American song. This song is emotional and powerful because of the words that were chosen. It was dedicated to not only African Americans but, to people going through hardship. While reading the lyrics, I noticed the use of anaphora because of the word ” Oh freedom” that was repeated in the first lines to emphasize the meaning it has. “Oh, freedom, Oh, freedom, Oh freedom over me, And before I’d be a slave, I’d be buried in my graveI’d, And go home to my Lord and be free, Oh, freedom”. This quote is deep in meanings because they ( African Americans) were hoping and praying for the freedom that was taken away from them. Even though they will never be fully free in this world, they know that in the afterlife they will be free, loved, and cherished by God. This song was sung with so much confidence and emotions. It also passes the message that no matter how hard life can be, one day, one day you will be free. Oh, freedom, Oh, freedom Oh freedom over me And before I’d be a slave I’d be buried in my grave And go home to my Lord and be free Oh, freedom Oh, freedom, Oh, freedom Oh freedom over me And before I’d be a slave I’d be buried in my grave And go home to my Lord and be free No more weepin’, (don’t you know), no more weepin’ No more weepin’ over me And before I’d be a slave I’d be buried in my grave And go home to my Lord and be free Oh freedom Oh, freedom, Oh, freedom Oh freedom over me And before I’d be a slave I’d be buried in my grave And go home to my Lord and be free And before I’d be a slave I’d be buried in my grave And go home to my Lord and be free